Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Back in (Blogging) Action!

Well, well, well...the concept of blogging certainly has been lost on me apparently. It has been three years (almost to the exact day thankyouverymuch) since my last blog on Kat Von Devious. To say a lot has happened since then would be a massive understatement: I moved across the country (again) , became a military spouse, finished my master's program, began work as an adjunct college instructor, adopted a dog and hedgehog, bought a house, found 1,000 things to do to house thanks to unhealthy small Pinterest addiction, got a second job as an online tutor, decided shortly thereafter that was about as good of an idea as trying to teach a dog how to read, and I'm sure I'm missing a few things in there as well.

While all of that has kept me busy, I always had a yearning to keep on writing. My extremely supportive husband has kept trying and trying to get me to write that novel I've always aspired to, but as I am wont to do, I stubbornly dug my heels in and decided I couldn't figure out for the life of me what to write an entire novel about. Even though my Kindle no longer tells me how many pages are in a novel, I am fairly certain a ballpark amount is a lot, and I'm just not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment. And what happens when I finish? Will I go through the terrible withdrawals I always do when I finish reading a book? I'm not sure my fragile little mind can handle that, y'all.

So...what hobby could I partake in that would allow me enjoyment AND afford me an opportunity to write about it, foibles and all, you ask? Even if you didn't ask and couldn't guess from my blog title, I'm going to tell you anyway- cake decorating. I've been toying around with this idea for many years now, especially after planning my own wedding and seeing how ridiculously overpriced wedding cakes are. I decided someday I would like to own my own bakery and specialize in giving brides their very own delicious, overpriced wedding cake of their dreams. Since I realize I can't just pick up a bag of frosting and become the cake decorating version of Donatello (also my favorite Ninja Turtle), I am going to start at the beginning with a trip to Hobby Lobby this Thursday to stock up on books and all the cake decorating related paraphernalia I need...and inadvertently a few things I don't need, but really do want because man those 40 percent off coupons are great and paraphernalia is a really hard word to spell even as an English teacher...I digress.

My plan is to chronicle my successes and failures (Hola, Cake Wrecks) in this blog. So far I know I can craft a mean specialized cherry pie crust:
Gobble, gobble, bitches.

If you hadn't guessed, our branch of military is the Air Force.

I'm also no stranger to making delicious cookie dough balls, bundt cakes for all seasons, and going extremely overboard with baked goods for Halloween:
Merry, tasty Christmas.

We celebrate freedom with cake. And fireworks. But mostly cake.

Because normal people bake four dozen cupcakes for holidays, right?
I realize most of my baking has been done seasonally, and I plan on changing that (read: friends, you're about to get A TON of free practice cakes). Baking has always been something I enjoy doing, as the focus while crafting new or old recipes soothes the OCD deeply embedded in my soul. So, writing and baking are incredibly therapeutic for me. And living in the butthole of America where tumbleweeds regularly take over our town (yeah, THAT was us), therapy should probably be a requirement. 

Stay tuned for updates! I plan to post my progress, probably a few entries about how awesome my dog is, and a few random Pinteresty crafts on this bad boy. Bottom line, let them eat (my beautifully decorated) cake. 
"I was told there'd be cake..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love, some advice, tell me the meaning of life...whatever you fancy! You don't have to have a Blogger account, you can leave a comment by clicking "Anonymous" in the "Comment As" box..but if you're not a troll, leave me your name after your comment so I know who said what!