|Kate bakes...wedding cakes?|
|Yeah, I used a box cake...sue me.|
- One box of white cake mix
- One 3.4 ounce box of Jello pistachio pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups of milk**
- 1/3 cup of oil...I know...I ALWAYS tell you to use butter and double the recipe, but trust me here. This cake is already going to be very dense from the addition of the pudding, so adding in too much butter would make the cake fall flat in the middle, and no one wants that.
- 4 egg whites...only use the egg whites. You don't want the cake tasting more like a yellow cake because of the yolk. It will mask the pistachio flavor.
- Optional: a few drops of green food coloring. I used three.
Simply mix all the ingredients together on low for 30 seconds, and then scrape the bowl and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into greased cake pans (I used two 8-inch rounds). Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove and continue to cool on a towel on top of the baking rack until room temp. I actually put my cakes into the freezer because frosting a frozen cake helps to keep the crumbage down. Damned crumbage.
|Aha, I finally figured out how to keep the powdered sugar demons from taking over every surface in my kitchen. Thank you, paper towels. I'd be lost (and very messy) without you.|
- One cup of Crisco/vegetable shortening
- One cup of softened butter
- Two teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Eight cups of powdered sugar
- Six tablespoons of milk
- Optional: an additional package of pistachio pudding mix, but know this will make your frosting chunky since the pistachio bits are in there. I couldn't live with myself if my frosting was chunky, so I didn't add this in. But I bet it would be extremely tasty, if only I wasn't such a smooth frosting groupie...
|Apply a thick layer of frosting to the top of the round and add the other round on top.|
|Take a big old heap of frosting and crumb coat that sucker.|
|Clearly, this part doesn't have to be smooth or beautiful. It's like concealer for your cake, the crumb coat. Gotta love it.|
|Put your crumb-coated cake into the freezer for 30 minutes and place a damp towel over your bowl of frosting to keep it from drying out.|
|Damn girl, you smooth.|
|Now, on to that frosting technique. I am en fuego with ideas this week, guys.|
|Science experiments are totally fun when edible.|
|I'll take one large glass of buttercream frosting, to go.|
|I feel pretty, oh so pretty, and witty, and tastyyyyyyyy.|
|But the experiment worked- two-toned flowers that are totes adorbs. So totes adorbs that is actually acceptable to say totes adorbs in a sentence if you're over the age of 14.|
|Now, to really put the cherry on top, flowers on the side, whatever.|
|It's always really nice when things turn out better than you had expected. As a realist, this very rarely happens. It's worth celebrating for sure, so thank God there was cake lying around.|
|This cake is so pretty, it even makes my photography skills look professional.|
|I've come a long, delicious way in one year.|