|And by salt, I mean sanding sugar. And by strawberry margarita cupcake with lime frosting, I mean paradise.|
|Yes, I really staged the hell out of this photo, you're welcome.|
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter. Room temp, of course, so it's smooth...like buttah.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs. Also at room temp. Don't nuke your eggs. I mean, you'll end up with a decent cooked egg, but that's besides the point.
- 3 Tbsp of sweetened strawberries- get the kind that boasts it's good for smoothies. I found mine in the freezer aisle at (you guessed it) Wal-Mart by the pie crusts and toppings.
- 1/4 cup strawberry margarita mix
- 1/4 cup of tequila. I know, there's tequila in the margarita mix, but just trust me on this. Don't skimp on the tequila either- you're gonna have leftovers, obviously, and no one wants to drink cheap tequila. No one.
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
|Your mixer is about to get druuuuunk.|
|Just add fluff, and now we know how Peeps are made.|
|I ate a few. I was ensuring their quality was up to my standards.|
|I refuse to drink warm tequila, so this was an easy decision for me.|
|Just tell yourself this is normal, and eventually things will get better. Whatever you need to do to survive this moment.|
|I told you my papers were festive. Olé, dammit.|
|It's pretty much going to look like this.|
|The frosting is simply to die for. I tried some, died, and brought myself back just to eat some more.|
- 1 block of regular cream cheese at room temp
- 1 cup of butter at room temp
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- 4-5 cups of powdered sugar to get the consistency thick for piping
- 5-7 drops of green food coloring (I used 7)
|Bonus ingredients are hella recommended.|
- A bag of fruit lime candy
- A small bowl of white sanding sugar mixed with a sprinkling of salt
- A piping bag fitted with a 1M tip
|Start by simply outlining the cupcake. I kept my piping bag still, and slowly moved the cupcake itself in a circular motion to achieve this.|
|Take your cupcake, and veeeerrrryyy gently dip your face-down cupcake into the bowl of salted sugar. Swirl it around a bit, but do not apply pressure or you'll smoosh the frosting. Now you have your margarita's "salted" rim!|
|Take out six lime candies, and cut them in half. They are big and heavy, so a whole one will look a bit too comical on your little cupcake.|
|Then place half a lime wedge into the top of each cupcake and you're done! You will want to refrigerate these if you don't eat the whole dozen at once to get cupcake wasted.|
I was honestly so tired and worn out from an extremely long day of essay grading and an accidental evening of margarita drinking while I made the cupcakes that I didn't even have one of these until the very next day. When it was no longer 75 degrees, but dropping quickly to about 45. See, it's really a location problem after all...this place will undoubtedly drive you to drink. Or eat alcohol-infused desserts. But oh dear Lord are these tasty. The hint of strawberry and tequila are the perfect pairing to the strong lime taste of the frosting, and the bit of salt in the sugared rim is just enough to keep your taste buds in check from going off the sweetness deep end. And in case you were wondering, these go ridiculously well with an actual strawberry margarita.
|They even look great together. They're like the Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem of the cupcake world.|
I'm happy to report that you can have your booze in a cupcake, and eat it, too. 'Til next time, my fellow eaters!